Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Our last weekend's trip (3)

Today Blogger is much faster, so here is the rest of the pictures from our daytrip a little more than a week ago. In my former two posts you'll find some pics from the city Middelburg, today I post some pics from the nearby city Vlissingen or in English "Flushing" (??). A more extended history of Vlissingen can be found here (requires Acrobat Reader)

Most of the pics will speak for themselves, so I'll only post some short comment here and there.

Vlissingen was together with Middelburg and Amsterdam the most important harbour during the Dutch Golden Age and on a strategic location. The most famous person from Vlissingen was admiral Michiel Adriaanszoon de Ruijter, the most famous person in Dutch naval history












Modern wall paintings go hand in hand with more scenic and historical sceneries.












First we thought wow, nice colourful fronts on these houses when we entered this street.





But things are not always what they seem!





Not all grafiti is a defacement of the wall!






I wished I was two doggies
Then I could play together
(Godfried Bomans, Dutch writer)

No comments: