Sunday, April 20, 2008

Maastricht part 1

I'm still behind with posting pics, but if I can keep up with this speed of three to four postings a week I should be finished within about three to four weeks, I hope.

Anyway this time a selection of pics of a daytrip my wife N. and I made last year September to the city of Maastricht in the province of Limburg. It's located at the river Meuse (Maas in Dutch) in the south-east of the Netherlands, close to the border with Belgium and Germany. It's one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands and the city is involved in a dispute with the city of Nijmegen in the east of the Netherlands near the German border which is the oldest city in the country. I'm not going to interfere in that dispute. I'll just say that Maastricht together with Nijmegen is one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands.

Maastricht is a nice city with some nice churches, many historical buildings and lots of nice café's, restaurants and quite some sculptures. The selection you will see below is part 1 of probably two or three postings about our daytrip to Maastricht.

Here you'll find the URL of the city and here of the Tourist office. Enjoy the pics!

The trainstation
One of the many sculptures you'll see around the city.
The bridge you see above and below is the Saint Servatius Bridge, the oldest bridge in the Netherlands and named after the patron saint of Maastricht.
The city hall at the market square.
I didn't had a clue if these were sculptures which were standing here on a permanent or temporary basis.

No comments: