Sunday, March 11, 2007

Listen to the radio (update)

Update: made some changes in paragraph 3 of this post.

My Girlfriend was on Japanese national radio yesterday. She appeared on NHK-radio. NHK is Japan's national broadcasting company, to compare with the BBC in Great Britain. My girlfriend's contribution was recorded last week on the phone and was broadcastred yesterday. It's a programme about Japanese living abroad. The persons who appear on the programme give a short report about the hometown or country they are living or answering questions. Some time ago she was asked to prepare a report for the programme.


My girlfriend's report was about our hometown Utrecht and about the famous Dutch designer and architect Gerrit Rietveld and his Rietveld-Schröder-house. This house is also on the Unesco's world heritage list. During the broadcasting of my girlfriend's report the radiostation showed webcamimages on the internet of the studio and at the same time they showed some pictures my girlfriend provided. She made some screenshots of it which are shown below. In her report she also mentioned the artist and graphic designer Dick Bruna, another famous person from our hometown Utrecht, known worldwide for his creation Miffy or in Dutch Nijntje.

The radio programme can be heard here. I've replaced the original link to the streaming audio file of the radio programme by a MP3-file with my girlfriend's performance. Of course it's all in Japanese. The programme was available until Friday March 16. I manage to record the streaming audio, so my girlfriend's contribution is now available as a MP3-file. Now you have to download the file. I'm still figuring out how to to play the file as streaming audio. Don't have much experience with that so far. So if someone has any suggestions, please feel free. BTW, the title of the post was inspired by a song from Tom Robinson, "Listen to the Radio"

After the screenshots you can see a few pictures I made myself of the Rietveld-Shröder-house. I visited here twice. A very interesting place. It's visited by tourists and mainly students
from all over the world who study design or architecture. Although the house was built in 1924 it still looks modern in 2007.

No comments: